Monday, May 07, 2007

MORE ON: Submission

My definition of humility-to know and love our place in God's plan-is perfectly illustrated in the life and poetry of George Herbert, the same George Herbert who, as a young man, had big plans for a life in politics, and the connections to make it happen. But he hadn't planned on the King dying, which left Herbert with shattered dreams and no future. Fortunately, he listened to his mother, became a pastor/priest in a tiny country parish that was so small and quiet that he had a lot of time to write poetry. Ironically, whoever became the next Prime Minister of England has long since been forgotten, but you can walk into any good bookstore in the English speaking world, 400 years later, and buy the poetry of George Herbert.

Submission
But that thou art my wisdom, Lord,
And both mine eyes are thine,
My mind would be extremely stirr'd
For missing my design.

Were it not better to bestow
Some place and power on me?
Then should thy praises with me grow,
And share in my degree.

But when I thus dispute and grieve,
I do resume my sight,
And pilfring what I once did give,
Disseize thee of thy right.

How know I, if thou shouldst me raise,
That I should then raise thee?
Perhaps great places and the praise
Do not so well agree.

Wherefore unto my gift I stand:
I will no more advise:
Only do thou lend me a hand,
Since thou hast both mine eyes.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Thanks for the working definition of humility. It's the first one I can hang my hat on--if I wore a hat. Is that an original definition?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home