Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Write on!

I don't know how long it was after J. Gutenburg moved his type and set off a revolution, that someone's private letters were first published for all the world to see. I do know that reading other people's mail--specifically, Theodore Roosevelt, Dorothy Sayers, John Newton (especially Newton!), Samuel Rutherford and Vincent van Gogh--has informed and challenged and inspired my life more than I can say. Someone has probably blogged insightfully on what we are losing with the demise of cursive writing and snail mail; we aren't, are we, likely to be able to buy a hard copy of "The Complete and Unabridged emails of J. I. Packer or David Wells or James Dobson"? Maybe it's just as well--we'll still have Newton.
Whose printed correspondence should I add to my own list?

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

Compelling thought, Dave. When Leah and I went to the Oregon coast last summer we stayed at a sort of writer's refuge, called Sylvia Beach Hotel -- maybe you've heard of it. Each room a vignette based on an author's life; journals are tucked into desk drawers ... a lot of wannabes and some disturbing stuff too, but diversionary, at least -- for a few minutes. :-)

Further to your question, though, a good read is the book Letters of a Nation, edited by Andrew Carroll. I also find the writings of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark fascinating, although I admit not reading enough of them.

Your contention about handwriting isn't lost on me, I just can't think of much that exists in that pure, original form. I did, however, Google the phrase, "The demise of cursive." Interesting ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home