Saturday, June 30, 2007

Modest Proposal #2

I'm not sure what's going on here, but twice in just three days I learned of Pastors (both good men) who are regularly chowing down at the hog slop trough of Oprah, Dr. Phil and American Idol. This apparently desperate attempt to be "relevant" to the people in the pews is what James M. Harrison talks about in a recent Touchstone article:
"For the last thirty or forty years, the church has been chasing its own tail as it seeks to be relevant to the culture. The quote attributed to Benjamin Disraeli, 'I must follow my people, for I am their leader,' is never more apt than when applied to the behavior of the church in its pursuit of the world.
"The idea seems to be that if we can be more like the culture, or more like a specific subset of the culture, the people will be comfortable with us. If they are comfortable with us, we'll be able to convince them that not only are we just like them, but Jesus is just like them, too. And if they think Jesus is just like them, maybe they'll want to follow him. Why they would want to follow someone who is just like them, however, remains a mystery."
So here's my proposal--rather than watching TV, visit an Assisted Living facility twice a week for two months. (I'm serious about this.) There are one or more within ten minutes of your home; nearly all of the residents are very lonely (even those whose family visit regularly). Get to know the staff, especially front-line, underpaid caregivers--they need to be called by name and smiled at as well. Just hang out, listen, ask questions, and learn more about real people than Oprah will ever know.
Note to self--You don't become a better shepherd by acting like the sheep.

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Interesting idea. I recommend taking the time to watch an old video/dvd called Awakenings with (a subdued, thankfully) Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro. I was struck by the compassion of the doctor and the staff as they treated the patients with tenderness and compassion. You might need some tissues.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger D Roller said...

One of my favorite movies.
"They tell me I've been away for some time. I'm back."

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this was excellent. You have pointed out (along with the quote from Harrison) exactly what has been bugging me more and more lately about the "relevant" church.

I'm glad I happened to stumble on your blog, but I've got to ask where the name Duckabush Sabbath comes from. I follow another blog from a Christian family who lives up the Duckabush called "Duckabush Blog" so it intrigued me.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger D Roller said...

Good to hear from you, Carl.
I have used the name for several years for one day retreats that I do at the Weed's place. I assume you were referring to them; I'll check it out.

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually not the Weeds, but very close friends, Edgrens.

Here is their main page with links to the Duckabush Blog, Wilderness Northwest, and the new Olympic Refuge (check out the latest photos!)

http://www.edgren.com/

BTW, I don't know if you read back far enough in my blog to find this entry:

http://carlgray.livejournal.com/15101.html

It is very hard-hitting and opinionated. I apologize for any offense, but I felt pretty strongly about it. I'd be interested in your thoughts, if you dare to leave a comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home